Thursday, July 3, 2008

Book Review: I Was Told There'd Be Cake


I just finished Sloane Crosley's essay book "I Was Told There'd Be Cake". I had gone into my sisters bookstore with the idea that I would help support her and buy some books. With the current economy bookstores are hurting and the one she manages might be closing. So I bought a good sized stack of books including this one. And before you ask, yes I bought this based solely on the title. How can you pass up a title like that?


And I was not disappointed. Sloane writes a number of great essays on everything from her secret pony figurine collection to accidentally calling the cops on her tunnel digging neighbor. Sloane's essay on her volunteer work at the Museum of Natural History is perhaps my favorite. There she is in charge of the butterfly exhibit which she knows absolutely nothing about. She develops a pathological fear of the Atlas moth, lies to children, and accidentally steals one of the butterflies. As she puts it, this would be her first and last volunteer gig. Her essay on accidently attending a Christian summer camp (although Jewish) and ending up playing Mary in the Christmas in July play is hilarious and insightful.


While the subjects are unusual and varied, the best part of this book is the writing. Sloane is witty and humorous in a way that reminds me of David Sedaris (one of my favorites). In fact she has been compared frequently to Sedaris. There is something about the neurotic, funny, and insighful essays of both writers that hits home. They make me wish I was funnier and more well spoken.


No comments: