Saturday, July 19, 2008

Golf

So I'm watching the British Open and am amazed to see Greg Norman leading the pack. Not that he is not an amazing golfer but that he is playing as well as he is in the weather that they have. I've become something of a duffer recently. I'm starting to enjoy the game and actually wanting to play. Jeff and I have been trying to play twice a month and I'm seeing steady improvement. That said I would not want to play in the weather that the British Open is enjoying. :-) 

The thing about golf is that if you are not a player it is a tough sport to watch. You have little idea of how hard it is to play at the level that these professionals play at. Before I played I kept thinking how easy it would be to do some of those chip shots. Now I look at those beautiful chips where they land two feet from the hole and am jealous. I only make those shots as a fluke. They make them on a regular basis. 

Now I am impressed the Norman is able to compete with the younger boys but that is the beauty of golf. You can actually get better as you get older. So many sports only have an upper age limit. A 35 year old football player is getting up there. A 40 year old baseball player is considered old. An 18 year old may be too old to be a gymnast. But golf you can play until you are 90 and no one bats an eye. 

Everyone tells me I'm old because I play both bridge and golf. I figure I'm just starting early. These are games I'll be playing decades from now. And the bonus is that I'll have a couple more years of experience. And since Jeff and I walk and carry our clubs I get a great workout out of 18 holes of golf. Win-win.  

No comments: