Monday, May 4, 2009

Fernando Falcone

Did I mention that I like slightly unusual art? I'm pretty sure I have once or twice before. The mixing of the dark with the bizarre makes me a very happy person. So when I saw Fernando Falcone's Mad Tea Party this morning I had to check out the rest of his work.

Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast went back this morning to look at all the Tea Party images they have used or gathered over the years. All of them are interesting (and you have to love the original Tenniel) but one of them really caught my eye. This one from Argentine artist Fernando Falcone is my ideal image of Alice, dark, spooky, and surreal.


I wandered over to his website and although I don't speak much Spanish I fell in love with the imagery. His art has just the right touch of bizarre and dark and even a little creepy. A lot of his material has a political feel, particularly his ones on education or medicine. And the Alice images (one of my favorite books) are so incredible. If only someone would design an animated film using his images. I'm so fascinated. Now to find a print at a reasonable price.

No comments: