Monday, May 11, 2009

Play Hooky

This will be quick. I'm playing hooky from work today. Okay well technically I'm on vacation but I have a gripe to share. Jeff and I both took the day off with the idea that we would catch an afternoon baseball game. Neither of us have ever been to one and it just seemed the epitomey of luxury. To spend an afternoon sitting at the baseball diamond, eating peanuts, drinking beer, while our coworkers sat in tiny dark cubicles. Delicious. 

So we took the day off. Got up for an appointment at school but then went out for a late breakfast. Puttered around the house until about 12:20. Then we headed downtown to the park. We were a couple blocks away when we noticed something abnormal. School buses. Tons of school buses. School buses lining every curve. I told Jeff that they were probably going to the Science Center. That would make a good field trip. "please be going to the science center!!!" But alas no such luck. They were all at the ballpark. When did we decide that a baseball game was a good field trip. I never got to go when I was a kid. What exactly do kids "learn" at a baseball game on a Monday afternoon. And why did they have to pick this day, of all days, to go. Grrrr. 

Jeff and I turned around, tails between our legs, and headed home. We'll find some other way to spend a Monday afternoon than with several thousand children who have access to large quantities of sugar. I'm sad about the game but I'm not crazy. Grrr. 

Sorry...just had to vent.

2 comments:

Dan Cook said...

There are few things that could keep me away from the ballpark:

-A terrorist incident.

-A severe illness.

-Busloads of schoolkids hopped up on sugar.

I don't blame you a bit!

Cat B said...

Don't think we didn't debate though. It was an amazingly beautiful day. And we haven't been to a game all season. But...not with the number of buses we saw. I like kids, but only in small doses. I figured you would have gone still. I know your love... addiction...hmmm, obsession with baseball. :-)