Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'm a Hooker!

I got your attention with that! But it's not what you're thinking. Two weeks ago at knitting one of the women showed me how to crochet. And I'm loving it. I've been knitting for two year now, thanks to my sister. I've made scarves and hats through knitting. But I have to admit that crocheting is faster. It's also simpler. I can redo work more easily. 

Knitting requires two needles but it's actually a pretty simple movement. Once you learn to knit and purl you can make pretty much anything. Crocheting only uses one hook (so it often gets the term hooking) but seems to require more movement. Each stitch needs to be done at least twice. But having only the one hook, work seems to go quicker. I noticed that our lone crocheter in the group could turn out a new item each week while us knitters plodded along on products for weeks. I decided it was well worth trying. I had been knitting a scarf but I think I might instead crochet myself some mittens. And these actually might be done before winter. 

I started with the book Stitch and Bitch which my sister lent me when I was just starting to knit. Now I might have to pick up a copy of The Happy Hooker, the authors take on crochet. I'm sure I'll jump back in forth between the two disciplines depending on what each project needs. But I'm thrilled that I now know both. I might actually prove to be a crafter one of these days. 

No comments: