Friday, May 1, 2009

Poetry Fridays

Last Friday I mentioned a poem that my dad used to read to us called The Twins. Over the week I found it. Even if you are not a huge poetry fan, give this a quick read. It's a wonderfully funny poem.

Other than that I'm just ready to get through the day and start my weekend. I had diversity training all morning so this feels like kind of a vacation day already. I'll try to post over the weekend since I don't have a ton of huge plans. I'm leveling a Paladin so I guarentee there will be a lot of WoW in the next day or so. Other than that maybe some photography. I love quiet weekends!

And for your enjoyment. The Twins by Henry Sambrooke Leigh.

In form and feature, face and limb,
I grew so like my brother,
That folks got taking me for him,
And each for one another.

It puzzled all our kith and kin,
It reached a fearful pitch;
For one of us was born a twin,
Yet not a soul knew which.

One day, to make the matter worse,
Before our names were fixed,
As we were being washed by nurse,
We got completely mixed;

And thus, you see, by fate's decree,
Or rather nurse's whim,
My brother John got christened me,
And I got christened him.

This fatal likeness even dogged
My footsteps when at school,
And I was always getting flogged,
For John turned out a fool.

I put this question, fruitlessly,
To everyone I knew,
"What would you do, if you were me,
To prove that you were you?"

Our close resemblance turned the tide
Of my domestic life,
For somehow, my intended bride
Became my brother's wife.

In fact, year after year the same
Absurd mistakes went on,
And when I died, the neighbors came
And buried brother John.

No comments: