Monday, May 18, 2009

Reading Weekend

I spent most of the weekend reading. I haven't given myself the chance to just sit around and read in a while and it was blissful. I took long hot baths and read. I curled up in bed and read. I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner reading. Other than helping a friend move on Saturday, having dinner with my parents on Friday, and breakfast with Jeff and mushroom hunting on Sunday, all I did was read. Part of that was just enjoying the chance to curl up. But a good part of it was the books.

Two weeks ago my possibly hopefully soon-to-be brother-in-law (long story) handed me a book he had loved in his youth and suggested I read it. It was D'shai by Joel Rosenberg. I had started it during the week and it became my constant companion. I would pull the book out for lunches and the bits of time I get during the week. But over the weekend I devoured the rest of it. The idea is intriquing although I was a bit disappointed by the ending. Rosenberg creates a world where people are born into their positions. Warriors give birth to warriors, acrobats give birth to acrobats. They each have a magical energy call Kazuh that they can raise when they are doing well at their task. Think of a runner's high, that moment when mind falls away and the body can carry on for an almost unlimited time. The story follows an acrobat/juggler who is simply not as adept as everyone else. He is clearly not a kazuh acrobat. When the troupe arrives in town he becomes embroiled in a love triangle with deadly consequences. He is called upon to solve the murders and in that way finds his magical energy.


The book itself was interesting but the idea of Kazuh was what kept me fascinated. This idea of finding ones strength and knowing it because it will become effortless is a unique one. We are each born with unique gifts and the idea that these would seem natural to us made me really think. I enjoyed the book with the political intrique and mystery but again the ending left me disappointed. The mystery did not provide enough clues for the reader to even hazard a guess. The society though and it's magical gifts (all based on balance) kept me reading until very late last night. I'm paying for it this morning. (Thank god for coffee)

On Friday Seven Impossible Things profiled illustrator Christopher Denise. I instantly fell in love with his work. His picture book Me With You (written by Kristy Dempsey) is so incredibly adorable that I had to show his rainy day picture around. I love the soft expressions on his characters faces and the just beautiful quality of his work. I was curious to see that he'd done some illustration work for some of the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. I had Redwall sitting on my bookcase at home waiting to be read. So I picked it up over the weekend. And hardly set it down again until it was finished. This amazing story of the mice and woodland creatures living in Redwall Abbey who battle the evil rat Cluny the Scourge was exciting and magical. There was constant action, and constant danger. The characters were all livable (or in Cluny's case, despicable). The story follows Mattias the mouse, who is not really cut out for the abbey. He has dreams of being a warrior. When Cluny attacks, he discovers that he might be the greatest mouse warrior ever. He must face sparrows, snakes, and of course rats to keep the abbey safe. The action was thrilling but the characters were what really drove the story. I loved Constance the badger. This book reminded me of Wind in the Willows, just with a lot more bloodshed.


Over the weekend I read two fantasy novels in a very short period of time. I simply couldn't stop. When my nephew comes for a visit this weekend I will have to recommend Redwall for him. It's right up his alley. This was a great weekend to remember how much I love fantasy writers. Two very different books but both equally engaging. Now I just have to find a new book. Maybe one that won't keep me up so late.

No comments: