Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Interview Whore

I am an interview whore. There now I've said it. I am drawn to interviews particularly with writers, artists, and illustrators. But my curiousity about people doesn't end with those. I love interviews with stateman and politicians, comics, actors, musicians, and sometimes just the average person. Mostly I love interviews with people who are passionate about their work. Who absolutely love what they do and want to share that information.

My earphones are constantly connected to my computer at work in case I run into an interview I just have to listen to. This morning alone I have listened to three interviews. One with Bill Maher, a comic/political junkie who I just adore. One with Tom Warburton on his new children's book A Thousand Times No. And one with Richard Dawkins, noted author and athiest. I'm sure there will be more today.

That's why I am so excited about the 5 Minute Interview series that the BBC has been doing. The interviews last a total of five minutes and Matt Stadlen, the interviewer, tries to cover as much ground as possible in that time. I've listened to fun interviews with Stephen Fry, Jesse Jackson, Jason Isaacs, Terry Pratchett, Michael Gambon, and Jerry Springer. They are the perfect soundbite and I find that I can listen and work at the same time. Stadlen has started carrying a giant alarm clock around with him which goes off when the five minutes are up. Some interviews flow, almost running over time. Some are tougher, requiring more prompting from Stadlen. The interviews tend to focus on UK figures which for me is an added bonus. I'm a considerable Anglophile. Quick interviews filled with fun facts and some wonderful people. My favorite new site.

No comments: