Monday, April 13, 2009

Blessed Blocks

I've always thought that religious art was solemn and somber. At least it was in the Catholic church I grew up in. Marble statutes that stood on pillars, never touching the floor. It was very dignified and somewhat intimidating. So I'm not sure what to make of the Lego Jesus that was unveiled in Sweden yesterday. This life-size, 30,000 white block Lego statute will live in the Oenstra Gryta Church in Sweden. I'm not sure who all will be offended but I think it's great. I wonder if they blessed each individual block or the sculpture as a whole. Inventive sculpture. Who would have known that I'd actually like some religious art?

2 comments:

chuktA said...

Will I be smote if I think that is funny?

Recently traveled to New Mex for a conference. The art in the Basilica is incredible.

Perhaps you will agree...http://www.santafenewmexican.com/SantaFeNorthernNM/Cathedral-Basilica-of-St--Francis-of-Assisi-Peeling-back-histor

Cat B said...

Hi DaveL,

I certainly hope you won't be smote because I thought it was hilarious. Not a lot of people have the drive or the time to spend 18 months on a life-sized lego Jesus.

Thank you for passing on those pictures. I love the colors and the overall feel of the Basilica. Despite not being terribly religious, I like the look of churches. And that is one of the prettier ones. Thanks!