Thursday, April 2, 2009

New Webcomics

To say that I have an addiction to webcomics might be a bit of an understatement. I haven't actually counted to see how many of them I follow a day but it is enough to keep me busy in the mornings. The problem is that I keep finding them (not really a bad problem to have). But the real issue is that once I find a webcomic I am compeled to read through all the archives. This can get a bit time-consuming. Sheldon's archives had to be the longest one but I read through the entire thing. Years and years of dailies. When I added Sandusky it was a little easier since he's gone to a three times a week. And I wouldn't be following the amazing Dreamland Chronicles unless I had gone back and read from the beginning. It's a wonderful story but you need the background for the current stuff to make sense.

So it's not really good that I added two new ones this week. That's a lot of archive to go through. The first one was Misery Loves Sherman by Chris Eliopoulos which I was introduced to by Unshelved. This offbeat and entertaining webcomic follows Sherman as he is badgered by his family, his teachers, and his schoolmates. Sherman's very likable but he's surrounded by the sometimes cruel. His parents want him to get a job and make something of himself, even though he's in elementary. His sister beats up on him and never gets in trouble. And his teachers seem to have it out for him. But in Sherman's room things are different. Sherman lives with two aliens and one miniturized death. And it's always some sort of fun chaos in his room. One of the aliens is trying to take over the world. The other will eat pretty much anything not nailed down. And death, well death just wants to kill people, is that so wrong? This strip manages to be funny and heartwarming at the same time. The drawing style is fun and very cartoony. The whole strip is just adorable. I've worked my way through the entire archives and just loved every moment of it.

On the other end of the spectrum is Evil Inc by Brad Guigar. I've seen this webcomic mentioned by most of the strips I read. It is part of the Half Pixel cartoon group which includes three other strips that I read. So why it took me so long to try it, I'll never know. Evil Inc is hilarous. Nothing adorable here. The strip is set in the company Evil Inc, which is a company for super-villians, run by super-villians. The head of marketing is half-man, half-fly. Henchmen never survive to retirement. The receptionist can blast you with lightning bolts if you get too fresh. Evil Inc sells evil products and services to keep the villians fighting against the superheroes. I'm still working my way through the archives. Considering the strip started in 2005, I'm doing pretty well getting to 2007.


The characters are fun and the dynamic between heroes and villians is great. (you need to sign up for a nemisis) One of the main characters (a villian) is married to one of the big super-heroes. They are constantly foiling each other and then going home together to take care of their son. The product ideas are hilarous. I just wish I had started reading the strip earlier. I have so much more to go through.

No comments: