Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Quotability

Quoting movies is practically an Olympic event in my house. My brothers and sisters and I are constantly throwing out a movie quote, following up on someone else's quote, or challenging each other to name the movie. When you get all five of us together (a rare but wonderful occurrence) you can bet that every third sentence will be some sort of quote. We can happily recite entire movies building one on the other. We joke that it's our only way to communicate with each other but it's not far off base. We tend to talk in quotes.

I mention this because in Naxx on Monday, the guild was quoting Ghostbusters (that was your whole plan Ray, Get Her?). At knitting last night someone threw out a Godfather quote. And later on last night, one of my guildies and I went through a good chunk of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. (Go away or I shall taunt you a second time). I am surrounded by movie quotes.


And this got me thinking. I would say that Holy Grail is one of the most quotable movies of all time. I would rank Ghostbusters right up there. For my family Tommy Boy and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels comes in as close finishers. And Anchorman (which I haven't seen) is quickly becoming a favorite. And we are constantly finding new movies to quote and new ways to incorporate them into a conversation. The same way a friend of mine uses puns, we use movie quotes. But I'm curious. What does everyone out there think of as some of the most quotable movies?

2 comments:

Keith said...

The Women. And not that wretched remake with Meg Ryan. I'm talking about the original, with Norma Shearer, Rosalind Russell and Joan Crawford. It's a massive snark-fest from end to end, and has some of the most quotable insults you'll ever hear.

"There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in polite society...outside of a kennel."

Cat B said...

I haven't seen that one. I'll add it to my list of movies. I love good movies and I particularly like good quotes. Thanks.