Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Distance

Sometimes distance sucks.

It's really hard to be far away and be helpless. Last night Jeff got a call that his dad had collapsed and had been taken to the hospital. They think it was just his blood pressure but he was kept overnight for observation. I'm optimistic but still worried for him. And mostly I feel helpless. I so want to help, want to do at least something. But with six hours distance there was little we could do last night. And I think that really bothered Jeff.

When Jeff came up here to go to college, he left all his family down in St. Louis. After graduation he stayed up here and met me. As much as he hates to admit it, he's been an Iowan now almost longer than he was a Missorian. We get down to see family about two or three times a year but it never really feels like enough. Most of the times it is only for the weekend and those two or three days are often a whirlwind.

So today I'm worried. Jeff has said he'll call me when he finds something out and I know he's anxious to hear. But waiting by the phone is not quite as comforting as waiting by a loved ones side. We had discussed going down in two weeks but now we might push that up. Sometimes the only way to make a true connection is face to face. Until then our thoughts and prayers have to make the six hour journey down south. Get well soon, Dad.

2 comments:

Keith said...

I'm sorry to hear this. Thinking good thoughts for all of you.

Cat B said...

Thank you! I'm happy to say he is home from the hospital and doing okay. Yay!